Tampa Maternity Portrait Photographer | Preparing for your Newborn Session | Misty Jones Photography

How to prepare for your newborn session?

If you book your newborn session with me then I will send you a prep guide that will go over a lot of the information you will need. I always tell clients to read it when I send it and then re-read it the night before your session just to make sure you don't forget anything. Don't worry though, if you forget something it is not a big deal! You don't need to turn around and go back home to get it!

In those first days after your little one arrives you will be sleep deprived and probably not thinking your clearest. You are probably experiencing a lot of emotions during those first days/weeks. Life can be a big adjustment for first time parents!

The best thing you can do to prepare for your session is to wake your little one about an hour or so before his/her session. Undress them down to the diaper, play with them and lastly feed them. If your little one falls asleep on the way to your session then you can just hand the carseat over to me when you arrive and I will get the baby out of the carseat. I have been doing this for a while and I have gotten pretty good at getting them out of the carseat without waking them all the way up.

It's pretty hot in the studio so I like to start off by photographing dad and baby, mom and baby, siblings and baby and then family shots. Then you are free to change into something light and relaxing! If young siblings will be photographed then dad (or both of you if you want) are free to take the siblings out to lunch, to a park or back to your house while I work on individual shots of your new addition.

Bring your sense of humor to the session. Babies have been known to poop, pee and spit up throughout the session! Don't worry, it's perfectly normal and expected!! If you want to take a nap, please do! If I need your assistance then I will let you know but otherwise this is your chance to relax while I take care of your little one.

As I stated above... this is life changing and adjusting to your new schedule can be tricky! Getting loaded up into the car takes 4x as long as it used to! So if you forget something or you are running late it is ok, just send me a text to let me know. And if you are a supermom and you arrive early then please go ahead and knock on the door! You do not have to sit outside and wait until your scheduled time.

Now, call me so we can get you on the calendar! :)

Comments