Newborn Photographer | Misty Jones Photography

Being a photographer with your own business, forces you to be a lot of things! It is sort of like being a mom (nurse, cook, maid, caregiver, teacher, etc...). I have grown so much as a person over the years but I have also learned a ton about running a business and so much more. When I started my career in photography I thought 90% of my time would be spent behind the camera. WRONG! Try 5-10% of my time is behind the camera. The rest of the time is spent editing, marketing, office manager, continuing education, SEO expert, website builder, maid (someone has to wash all those newborn backdrops and keep the studio clean!!!), a baker (knowing what type of cake to order and adding special touches to the cake), a set designer (hello cake smash sessions!!), a nurse (handling little ones takes skill, patience and knowledge)... I could go on and on! Here recently, I have been focusing more on maternity, newborns, milestone sessions (3, 6, 9 and 12 months), headshots and high school seniors. For those of you that have done newborn sessions, you know that the props are pricey!!! And not only that but you have to keep up with the latest trends and also keep your website/ideas fresh. So, in an attempt to help with the costs I have added some new fields to my job. In the last month I have spent countless hours designing templates to print onto newborn onesies, bags, etc... to give as client gifts. I have dyed flokati rugs in the exact colors that I wanted (still have more to do!), made a heart prop, put together some wood floor backdrops and stained/painted them, worked with my husband to build a newborn bed, searched and found gorgeous backdrops that I could also make wraps out of. Well this past week I sewed about 4 pillows together and I also made these hats. Nothing fancy about them but I do think they add a special touch because they match the wrap and backdrops. :) Excited to use them in my newborn session this weekend! The best part about learning all these new things is the sense of accomplishment I get after each project is completed! What inspires you? What gives you that sense of accomplishment?

Comments