Misty Jones Photography | Fine Art Photography

I would like to share with you some of my FAQ's. I know that a portrait session can be a bit overwhelming and it is my job to help make your session as seamless and FUN as possible! :) 1. What do I do if my child (or anyone being photographed) is feeling under the weather? If you or your child are not feeling well, it WILL show in your pictures! Please, please, please reschedule as soon as possible! 2. What do I wear? Check out the "what to wear" album that I have posted on Facebook. Generally, I recommend starting with finding an outfit for mom. If moms outfit has a pattern then pull the different colors from that shirt/dress and build out from there. If mom's outfit does not have a pattern then I would find a dress or shirt for one of the kids that matches moms outfit and then build out from those colors. You can accessories with colors from the same palette. Also, consider where you are being photographed. For example, if you are being photographed at a park or somewhere with a lot of trees then you probably want to stick with neutral colors (tans, creams, browns, greens, oranges, muted blues or reds). 3. How do I pose? Let me handle this part! I will tell you where to stand and adjust the posing as needed. I do prefer to have a more relaxed style when it comes to posing so I prefer to let everyone get into position and then make minor changes so that it feels natural. I also, love to do candid shots during the session! Parents tickling the child or giving them kisses, parents telling the kids a joke, ring around the rosie, etc... 4. When is the best time to schedule my maternity portraits? I prefer to do maternity portraits between 32-35 weeks. Your belly is poking out at this time but not so far that you are uncomfortable and swollen and not really wanting to be photographed. 5. When is the best time to schedule my newborn portraits? Now!!! :) Seriously, the sooner the better! My months book up quickly and I want to make sure I can photograph your wee one during those first 2 weeks. I typically will pencil in a date close to your due date and then once the baby arrives we can adjust the date a bit if needed. If you already had your baby call me asap and we will try to get you in as quickly as possible but no guaranties. If you baby is older then 4 weeks we will do a wrapped session where the baby stays wrapped for the entire session. The reason for this is because newborns tend to constantly move their arms and feet around and it is hard to get good portraits of them when they are constantly moving around. 6. How far in advance should I book portraits for holiday cards, maternity shower, birthday party, etc...? I would recommend booking at least 10-12 weeks before your event as it can take up to 4 weeks to edit the photos and you also need time for your order to come in if you are ordering prints, cards, etc... 7. What if my newborn doesn't sleep during the session? I have been pretty successful getting babies to sleep as long as they are under 4 weeks old. We keep it really warm in the studio and we use a noise machine. For the most part babies will sleep for most of the session. Occasionally, I have a little one that will not sleep very much and in that case we generally stick to safer poses and moving the baby as little as possible from various props and backdrops. If the little one just will not sleep at all then we may reschedule for another day. Every baby is different depending on the day or the time of the session so trying again on another day will most likely get completely different results. 8. What location should we use? Newborns and babies up to a year old are generally photographed in the studio as well as headshots, maternity and boudoir sessions. For babies older then 1 I prefer to photograph them on location because they are moving and it is hard to keep them on a small backdrop! Same with families. If you are unsure about where to have your location, please ask me. I have a list of locations that I can make suggestions from. If you have any other questions, please feel free to add them to the comments and I will add them. Thanks!

Comments